Video of Hearing Testing in Young Children (6 Months - 6 Years Old)
In celebration of Kids ENT Health Month, our office has produced a video demonstrating the various ways a child's hearing is tested from 6 months to 6 years old. After all, you certainly can't just ask them to push a button when they hear a beep as you would in an adult. This video shows the following different types of hearing testing done in children:
• Soundfield Auditory Testing (SAT) - 6 months to 2 years old
• Speech Awareness Threshold (SAT) - 2 years to 3 years old
• Speech Recognition Threshold (SRT) - 4 years to 6 years old
• Conditioned Play Audiometry (CPA) - 4 years to 6 years old
• Select Picture Audiometry (SPA) - 3 years to 4 years old
If the child is younger than 6 months old, Auditory Brainstem Response (ABR) or Otoacoustic Emission Testing (OAE) is performed. Video of this type of hearing test can be viewed here or below.